Open position at Artificial Intelligence Center FEE CTU
PhD in GAME THEORY
- Work schedule
- Karlovo nám. 293, 120 00 Praha-Nové Město, Česko
Are you passionate about mathematics and would like to explore the exciting world of strategies and decision making? Join the Game Theory research group at the AI Center (Czech Technical University in Prague) as a PhD student. It's a fully-funded position for motivated individuals who want to get to the bottom of fundamental questions. Will you contribute to the future game solutions powered by artificial intelligence?
You can choose from a number of research topics (examples below) or design your own proposal if you want to explore another area of game theory.
- Game-theoretic methods in adversarial machine learning
- Solution of large or continuous games
- Cooperative game theory
- Applications of coalitional games in computer science
Your supervisor Viliam Lisý
Viliam "Vilo" Lisý got his Master's degree at the Faculty of Mathematics and Physics, Charles University and Ph.D. at the Czech Technical University in Prague. As a doctoral student, he spent one semester at Carnegie Mellon University and did his postdoc at the University of Alberta in Michael Bowling's team. He co-authored the paper DeepStack: Expert-level artificial intelligence in heads-up no-limit poker which was published in the Science magazine. He is also solving the problems of the industry through extensive research in the Avast security company. In his free time, Vilo enjoys running and riding a mountain bike.
Vilo's research interests
Game Theory - Computational Game Theory, Learning in Games, Imperfect Information, Sequential Games, Deception
Network Security - Attack Graphs, Intrusion Detection, Honeypots
Artificial Intelligence - Decision Making Under Uncertainty, State Space Search, Planning, Machine Learning
Salary and other perks of being a PhD student
Successful candidates will get a full tuition waiver and 45 000 CZK monthly brutto income (the equivalent of 1 670 EUR). Note that the Czech Republic's cost of living is at 59% of the US price level by OECD statistics. To give you a better idea, the average price of beer in Prague is 1,3 EUR. Cheers to that! With 6 weeks of paid vacation, you will have plenty of time to explore the cozy pubs and vibrant nightlife.
Also, get excited for traveling to attractive conferences abroad, regular internal seminars, an unlimited supply of coffee (very appreciated) and meal vouchers. Our labs are located on the university campus in the historical city center, so perfect transport accessibility is another obvious advantage.
However, what we appreciate the most about our research center is an inspirational and supportive environment. Plus you will have the convenience of working in teams where everyone knows their agenda and the supervisor is at your fingertips to help. With that said, getting your PhD in AI Center FEE CTU will be a forming life experience that will kick off your research career.
Since the beginning I have been following a principle – I want to help to educate people in a way that their market value keeps growing. So that they can keep their freedom and leave anytime they want in search of something better.
It‘s interesting that there are professors known all over the world and yet they don‘t give you the feeling they are something more. They come to your presentation, take interest in your problem at the seminar and try to help you.
Prior knowledge of game theory is not necessary, Essential qualification for this position is a Master degree in computer science, mathematics, optimization, or related fields. Do you have one or are you in the final year of your master's program? Great! Proceed with the application.
How to apply
- Send your structured CV and· motivation letter to our HR Manager email@example.com or via the form below.
- We will contact you in approx. two weeks whether you qualify for the position and if we think you would be a good fit for our team.
- Get ready for an interview with your future supervisor to discuss your research proposal or topics you are interested in. This can be done via videocall from the comfort of your home.
- Until submitting an official PhD application through the university system (there are two possible deadlines per year), you can start working in our center. It's a great way to meet your colleagues and see if you enjoy the research job. Once you decide to go through with the PhD program, we will help you with the formal application.