Open position at Microsoft
Software Development Engineer - Back-end Services
- Work schedule
- Vyskočilova 1561/4a
About the team
At Skype & Teams, our vision is to re-humanize communications from the living room to the boardroom. Skype is used by family and friends across the globe. Skype for business has transformed the way millions of enterprise workers communicate and collaborate in real time. Microsoft Teams is redefining the group collaboration space with laser focus on team and individual productivity.
In recent years Skype has completely reinvented itself-replacing our P2P infrastructure with modern cloud microservices, integrating Skype with other Microsoft services (such as O365) for a fluid user experience, evolving into both consumer and business products, and supporting our users whether they run on desktop, mobile, or web apps.
Join the team that powers the entire messaging back-end for Skype, Skype for Business and Microsoft Teams.
What we do:
We develop one of the largest scale, business critical services in Microsoft. Our services run in every region of the world, serving hundreds of millions of active users and billions of requests a day. We care about milliseconds of latency and take high availability seriously. One of the major goals the team is working on is to revamp and re-architect our services for planet scale while enabling rich and highly sophisticated experiences. This effort includes redesigning the storage, scaling the compute, re-architecting the network protocols, optimizing high volume data feeds that power AI, and such. Another important part of our everyday work is to cooperate, develop or extend engineering services to other MS product teams mainly improving continuous integration (CI) test execution system and frameworks.
What to expect:
You will have a chance to work with cutting edge technology powered by Azure - schemaless DB, distributed caching, Service Fabric, etc. Every service must be highly scalable, highly-available and extremely performant in a geo-redundant multi-tenant system honoring obligations for data sovereignty, privacy, security and compliance. In this role, you will be responsible for all aspects of the services (design, development, quality, production deployment, service availability & reliability). You will have an opportunity to work in a fast-paced agile setup beside a set of awesome engineers and have fun along the way. If you relish challenges on a day to day basis and love to solve problems at massive scale as well as learn from great but humble minds, this team is for you. Given the impact of the service, this team is growing fast, and every member will have enough and more problems to solve providing excellent growth opportunities.
- BS in Computer Science or equivalent field
- Proficiency in Data Structures and Algorithms
- 2+ years of relevant software development experience in C#, Java, Python, C++ or related technologies
- Strong communication/collaboration skills, ability to deal with ambiguity and prioritize issues
- Collaborating with technical partners to deliver end-to-end solutions extending beyond our team’s ownerships
- Ability to perform network-level debugging experience across multiple components
- Openness to Test-driven development (TDD) and pair programming: we aim for quality and stability in finite increments
- Experience with multithreading and asynchronous processing
- Experience with CI/CD pipeline using agile practices
- Ability to quickly ramp up on multiple technology areas
- You should be ready to take ownership of an application and accept periodically an on-call duty and solve a live site incident if necessary
- You should be able to give and receive honest feedback
- The statements above describe an ideal candidate; if you don’t have all the experience, expect to learn a lot!
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations, and ordinances.