Android UI Developer
Showmax is one of the largest and most successful subscription video on demand services serving sub-Saharan Africa. Showmax apps are available for smart TVs, smartphones, tablets, computers, media players and gaming consoles. The engineering team has the unique challenge of supplying shows from Hollywood’s biggest studios, local African productions, and live sports from around the world to consumers in developing economies - all without compromising quality.
About the Team
The Showmax Android team currently consists of seven members, most of them senior developers. Having worked together for more than four years, we focus on writing clean, testable, and easy-to-scale code. We have our own Product managers and Designers assigned for both mobile and Android TV platforms.
I asked a friend how her company handles the selection of gifts for colleagues for their birthdays and she said it's a hassle. Showmax, on the other hand, is great. We like one another so we like choosing gifts for our teammates. For my birthday, I got a vinyl record from my colleagues who knew I collected them. It made me so happy because I knew they'd thought about what I like.
About the role
Are you ready to join the team that has, thanks to Android dominance on the market, a great impact on the future of the video streaming app? What we offer is NOT a “monkey work”. You'll be responsible for the concept and architecture of the app, possibly the whole platform; optimize the work, code, and processes that bring it to life.
- Taking care of the UI architecture both technically and visually.
- Communication and cooperation across the company on design system and its implementation
- Coming up with improvements and innovation of the app
What to Expect
- All of our new code is written in Kotlin. Our architecture is MVVM-based and we use a pretty regular Android stack (RxJava3, MVVM, Dagger, Retrofit, Moshi, Room, Jetpack, Glide etc.)
- We pride ourselves on being proactive and providing meaningful feedback. Don’t like something in the app, code, or company culture? Say it. Let’s talk about it. Let’s get better.
- You should have relevant experience with dependency injection and writing tests. QA automation is an integral part of our work.
- Be someone who wants to bring their own ideas and is not afraid to solve problems
- Read more about the team in the recent interviews
What you’ll get in return?
- 25 days of holidays
- 5 sick days
- Annual bonus based on performance
- Fully remote work possible
- Equipment that you prefer - Lenovo or Apple laptop, monitors, etc.
- Meal vouchers, MultiSport card
- Education - internal knowledge sharing, conferences, online courses, time allocation for learning purposes
- Ergonomic workspace, good coffee and snacks in the office