Showmax is one of the largest and most successful subscription video on demand services serving sub-Saharan Africa. Showmax apps are available for smart TVs, smartphones, tablets, computers, media players and gaming consoles. The engineering team has the unique challenge of supplying shows from Hollywood’s biggest studios, local African productions, and live sports from around the world to consumers in developing economies - all without compromising quality.
A bit about the team
We are a smaller team of 10 people developing a React application that currently runs on smart TVs, web and mobile devices which makes it one of the most important frontend platforms for our customers. The technologies that are being used are of course React accompanied by Redux and all our codebase is written in Typescript.
One of the most challenging and exciting parts of our daily job is the support of smart TVs. They don’t usually have a point and click interface so you need to deal with focus-based interaction which is completely different from what most people are used to. Most of the TVs also have very slow hardware which makes you question the performance of the application a lot. Sometimes you really need to look under the hood of React and how browser rendering works which brings you the opportunity to learn some new interesting stuff in real-world scenarios.
Last but not least, we have a very friendly and relaxed team culture where we like to share knowledge and don’t hesitate to experiment to get the job done.
Who are we looking for?
- Experience with React or another framework (Angular, Backbone, Ember, …)
- Willingness to learn new stuff
- Good knowledge of web technologies
- Experience with Git
- Good communication skills
- English proficiency to be able to talk/write daily
"What keeps me here is the constant progress that Showmax is making. It's obvious everywhere you look that there is still so much to learn. All you need to do is go that extra mile and there will always be someone to join you, to support you."
Michal Topinka, QA Engineer
What you’ll get in return?
- 25 days of holidays
- 5 sick days
- Annual bonus based on performance
- Fully remote work possible
- Equipment that you prefer - Lenovo or Apple laptop, monitors, etc.
- Meal vouchers, MultiSport card
- Education - internal knowledge sharing, conferences, online courses, time allocation for learning purposes
- Ergonomic workspace, good coffee and snacks in the office